Don’t know how to curl hair with flat iron? Here is an ultimate step-by-step guide explaining how to curl hair with flat iron.
Flat irons are not only great for getting straightened hair look but did you know that you can also achieve curls with it? You must have seen videos on the internet of people using a flat iron to get curls.
In this article, i will be telling you all about it, ways in which you can curl hair with flat iron, also pros and cons. And lastly, a few suggestions regarding the styling appliances, what to look for while buying them and which ones are the best in the market according to my personal experience.
If this sounds exciting to you, let me take you through the journey of finding out how to get flat iron curls!
Guide To Curl Hair With Flat Iron
A) Hair Prep
Before you curl hair with flat iron, make sure you have clean and dry hair. It is best that you wash your hair prior to styling, if possible, on the same day. You can choose to let them air dry or even use a hair dryer. But using a hair dryer might end up making it difficult to style since it gets frizzier compared to naturally air drying.
Make sure to use a good shampoo and conditioner. Always, always condition your hair properly before you decide to use heat on your hair. This step saves a lot of hair damage that might be caused due to the heat.
B) Hair Protection
Like i mentioned in the above step, protecting your hair before you curl hair with flat iron is very important and one such step is to condition. Other ways in which you can protect your hair is to use heat protectant sprays, mousse, whatever works for your hair!
Before you curl hair with flat iron, make sure to use something rather than nothing at all. By something i mean, you can use aloe Vera gel as well. Using shea butter, almond oil also helps to a certain amount.
Though these curl hair with flat iron hacks cannot be compared to using a hair spray, but surely is better than using heat on your hair directly. You can also use a leave-in conditioner.
C) Buying The Right Appliance | Flat Iron
Let us admit it! We are looking for ways to reduce the damage that can be caused due to these styling tools. Though it is completely inevitable to do so, there are ways in which you can maintain the health of your hair, be it the roots or ends.
A major difference can be seen while using a good curling flat iron that is made to give you frizz free , smooth curls or straight hair. My suggestion here would be to use Bekind Flex 2-in-1 flat iron and curler.
You Can Also Buy Bekind Flex 2-In-1 Flat Iron And Curler On Amazon >>
As the name suggests, this styling tool comes with a flat iron and also a curling iron in one piece. It is a great option to invest in if you want a proper curling iron along with a flat iron. Few of the features of this appliance are:
- Has stable heating technology.
- Ceramic plates with flex floating plate design that prevents hair from pulling or tugging.
- The circle design enables you to get more than 10 different hairstyles pretty easily.
- Also has AirFlex technology that lets out cool air from tiny air vents which sets your hair for long-lasting hairstyle.
- Has a clasp to make styling your hair much easier.
If you only want to get a flat iron that will give you perfectly straight hair along with curls whenever you want, here is another suggestion for you. In my opinion, the Bekind Apex 2-in-1 flat iron is the one to go to.
You Can Also Buy Bekind Apex 2-In-1 Flat Iron On Amazon >>
The difference between this flat iron and the previous one is, clasp. This product is a full fledged flat iron with no clip. Another key difference is that this does not come with AirFlex technology compared to the other product. Let me tell you some of its features that makes it a good appliance to buy:
- It is very light when it comes to its weight. It only weighs 0.7 pounds which makes it easy to style the hair.
- With the rounded circle design, it is flexible and allows you to achieve perfectly straight or amazing smooth curls in no time.
- Also has floating plates, which according to me is such a great feature because this has saved me a lot of hair loss.
- There are 5 different temperature settings included as well.
Both these options are a great investment when it comes to styling appliance!
D) Types Of Curls | Curl Hair With Flat Iron
Using a flat iron can give you different kinds of ringlets as well.
It all depends on the way you use it to form curls. Let me tell you how:
🟢If you want to achieve tighter curls, you need to move the flat iron horizontally.
🟢 To achieve softer, more natural looking curls, you will need to move the flat iron vertically.
If you are wondering how, let me share the process step by step.
1. Curl Hair With Flat Iron: Tighter Curls
- Make sections of your hair , each section being not more than an inch thick.
- Hold the flat iron horizontally.
- Take a section of hair and wrap it around the flat iron.
- Apply flat iron horizontally from top to the end of the hair.
- make sure to not pull or tug the hair.
- Do it slowly the first time with low heat setting.
- Practice it till you get a hang of it .
- You can also glide the flat iron horizontally, rotating the straightener as you go.
2. Curl Hair With Flat Iron: Softer Curls
- Begin by holding the flat iron vertically.
- Wrap a section of hair around the flat iron.
- Glide the flat iron as you go.
- You can also twist and rotate the flat iron vertically as you glide it down if you do not wish to wrap your hair around the flat iron.
- It might seem a little difficult, but once you get the hang of it, should not take more than 10 minutes to finish the entire hair.
You can also achieve beach waves, crimps, smaller ringlets using a flat iron.
3. Curl Hair With Flat Iron: Beach waves
You can start by curling your hair with vertical placement of the flat iron.
The only trick is to leave an inch or two at the ends while wrapping your hair around the flat iron. You can also pull the straightener straight towards the end, giving the beach wave. But for this, you would need some beach salt spray to give you the texture that is necessary to achieve this look.
4. Curl Hair With Flat Iron: Crimps
You can achieve larger crimps with a flat iron. This is how:
- Hold your flat iron horizontally.
- Place a small section of hair between the plates.
- Twist the flat iron upwards for the first wave/zigzag.
- Glide the flat iron keeping the end of the previous wave as the initial point of the second.
- Twist the flat iron downwards.
- Keep doing this consecutively to achieve crimps.
5) Curl Hair With Flat Iron: Small ringlets
For this, many people use pencils, pens, basically any tool or wand that can be used to wrap your hair around it and will not melt with the heat.
For this look,you will need to take smaller sections of hair compared to regular curls. Wrap the chunk of hair around a wand as tightly as possible and as close as possible. Run the flat iron through the hair, pausing for 5 seconds around the wand.
Once done, take the hair out of the wand and gently shake the ringlets holding at the top. And that is all about it!